Thursday, April 05, 2007

4-5-07: Rangers 3, Canadiens 1

Correction to the previous post: New York Rangers abuse women, eat puppies, and easily obliterate Habs.

1. Here’s everything specific worth saying: Souray sets record, Koivu continues point streak, Halak gets pulled, Huet returns and looks okay, Carbonneau line-juggles but Kovalev plays pathetically with everyone, the ice at the Garden sucks, Shanahan is unbelievably awesome, Avery just needs a hug, and Marek Malik is a great name.

Now I’m going to go for a very long walk in the very terrible weather.

***

The art of losing isn’t hard to master;
so many things seem filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster.

Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn’t hard to master.

Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

I lost my mother’s watch. And look! My last, or
next-to-last, of three loved houses went.
The art of losing isn’t hard to master.

I lost two cities, lovely ones. And, vaster,
some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
I miss them, but it wasn’t a disaster.

-Even losing you (the joking voice, a gesture
I love) I shan’t have lied. It’s evident
the art of losing’s not too hard to master
though it may look like (
Write it!) like disaster.

[Elizabeth Bishop]

4 comments:

Matthew Macaskill said...

I feel your pain.

However, everything will be rectified should Montreal defeat the Leafs Saturday night.

Lyle Richardson said...

Relax, E! Don't you see? The Habs want to play the Leafs in Toronto! They WANT to crush the Leafs in front of their hometown fans on a nationally televised audience!!

At least that's what I keep telling myself in hopes of driving out the dark thoughts of a Leafs win.

Should that occur, I'll officially become, for one day, an Islanders fan if they're still in position to make the playoffs.

Oh, well, a month ago the Canadiens didn't appear to even be in sniffing distance of the playoffs. At least we should be thankful they rallied back to put themselves in position of at least squeaking in on the last weekend of the season.

I keep telling myself that too when my "Habs wanted to beat the Leafs in Toronto" mantra doesn't work.

greywall said...

Don't you see, e? Its losses like this that make you believe in God, destiny and fate. The more jaded among us will say Bettman rigged it from the beginning.

The last game of the season, playoffs in the balance, against not just someone you hate or compete against but the Habs very nemesis, their arch-rivals. Pray that the collective karma that habs fans have built up outweighs leafs nation. It had to happen this way. The bosox would never have won had they not fallen behind to the hated yankees by three games. The Avalanche are continuing their ridiculous quest for 8th in the West.

Don't you see? It was pre-written that the Habs would lose.

alice said...

And, as a Rangers fan, I see last night as a small amount of karmic payback for the two seasons (at least in my memory) back in the 90s when Vincent Damphousse singlehandedly (at least in my memory) eliminated the Rangers from the playoffs. There's no overlap in the player rosters then and now (except that Kovalev is still playing for the losing side!), but no matter. To a fan rivalry is larger, and, certainly, more permanent, than the roster. Islanders fans may still hate the Leafs because of how Tucker destroyed Peca's knee a few years back, even though Peca has made his peace with being Tucker's teammate. All of this is what makes being a hockey fan both so delicious and so heart-breaking, especially this time of year.