Sunday, December 17, 2006

12-16-06: Canadiens 6, Penguins 3

The problem with writing is that it’s very difficult to express real joy. I mean, I can say that this win made me really happy, but does that make you understand how I really felt? I don’t think it does. I don’t know that there’s a way for me to express verbally how fun it was to watch this game. This game was like honey and overripe strawberries, so sweet I almost feel guilty for enjoying it. Almost. But not really.

  1. First, and most importantly, it’s just wonderful to see Higgins again. There were rumors that he’d be ‘eased back into play’, ala Bouillon, meaning he’d get like 5 minutes of ice time total. Yeah, right, the guy got more than that in the first period alone. And as much as I do like Latendresse, and am very proud of how well he did on the first line, Ryder-Koivu-Higgins is just a gorgeous combination; hockey the way it was meant to be played, and shadows of what the Habs have been missing of late: a really scary offense. Welcome back, C.H., we’ve missed you.
  2. Okay, so the Canadiens didn’t have a first period, but with a second period like that, who needs it? Points for everybody! Another two-goal game for Koivu, about whom it is quite literally impossible to say enough good things, but also three more assists for Markov, a goal and two assists for Ryder, a goal and an assist each for Souray and Kovalev, and another goal for Lapierre, who is making us love the 4th line almost as much as we already love the 3rd. Speaking of which, Bonk got his nose broken in the last game and played with a full face mask and a bunch of stitches, and didn’t seem to be phased at all. Par for the course in hockey, I suppose, but one must give credit where it’s due. And it is also due to Komisarek and Bouillon, for bringing some very nice tactical smashing, and Rivet, for sticking up for the team even though it probably wasn’t necessary. Cristobal Huet: Like a long walk on a rainy night with an old friend.
  3. Note to the Penguins: Some teams can afford to take penalties, and others can’t. The Canadiens can. You can’t. Get your PK together or learn how to behave yourselves. Other than that, I’ve said everything I need to say about Pittsburgh already.
  4. I know absolutely nothing about Nasreddine, but congratulations to him on getting his first NHL point ever. At first I was hoping they’d negate it because of the clock, but he looked so freakin’ happy, he won me over. Plus, I’m a sucker for Arabic surnames, and they’re just not that common in hockey.
  5. The Venerable Sidney: Best player in the NHL? Yep, sure, I’ll go with that. Again, though, I ask: What’s the point? The Habs’ 3rd line shut him down like… well, I don’t have a simile for how totally they shut him down, that’s how decisive it was. Sure, it’s nice to have the BP-NHL, but at this rate it might be better to have a big stuffed teddy bear or a kind-hearted woman, then at least you’ve got something to comfort you for all the points you don’t get.

So much for the magic grenade launcher. Let’s hear it for harmony, ingenuity, and the skillful use of the metaphorical letter opener.

3 comments:

Reality Check said...

Will Radek Bonk now be known as the "Rage in The Cage?"

How can a player like him be over rated, over paid, yet remain under appreciated?

I was disappointed with the game - happy with the outcome.

Jordi said...

I doubt Bonk is under appreciated. He's what makes a good part of the mojo of the third line! No one in their right mind would scratch Bonk if they see him the way the Habs have this season.

And apart from Koivu and Huet, Bonk receives a lot of mancrushes.

E said...

it's true. the bonk fan club is a force to be reckoned with.