Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Okay, Now I'm Intimidated

What the hell do I think I'm doing?

Backstory: So I decided to do the sensible thing and start trying to put some links on this here blog. You know, links to other hockey-type stuff. So I spent some time procrastinating from my real life, fired up Google, and started looking for other hockey blogs.

Holy shit, there are a lot of them. Moreover, most of them seem to pretty much know what they're talking about. Many are written by actual journalists and do serious-type-writing- 'interviews' and 'news' and suchlike. They run all kinds of elaborate statistics up against each other in mysterious ways and come up with very informed-sounding conclusions. And then there are others, which exist in a realm of pure hardcore monogamous fandom which I don't think I'll ever be able to access- people so immersed in their team that they could tell you every player's astrological sign, favorite type of pasta sauce, and mother's maiden name for the entire history of the franchise from memory.

It makes for some very interesting reading, certainly, but it also makes it clear that I'm in way over my head. I'm not a sports person by nature or inclination. If I were male, I'd probably have been the guy in high school who got the crap beaten out of him by the sports guys. I have no qualifications for writing about hockey except a perverse instinctive attraction to the game. Why do I feel the need to broadcast that feeling out into the ether like this? What could I possibly accomplish? And who would possibly want to read it?

*sigh*

Maybe I'm just depressed because Higgins is going to be out for 6 weeks.


2 comments:

Tapeleg said...

You know, there was something a little similar on Eyes on the Prize a few days back. Funny, but as the season heats up (and it's a long season, I'm finding out quickly), the best hockey writing comes out, and we all look at each other wondering where we fit in.

I am a crappy hockey writer, and was even worse several months ago. But this is the best and most fun writing I've ever done. There is something about blogging and hockey that line up nicely.

If you want to find other good blogs, go to the blogrolls of other blogs you like. There is some great stuff out there. I personally like anything that makes me laugh.

And don't gauge the popularity or readership of your blog on the comments section. The vast majority of readers just read. Even the really popular blogs don't get that much comment action.

If any of that sounds snotty, or you know all of that already, then here is the real message: Welcome to the Hockey Blogging World. Now, get out there and write.

E said...

thanks for the encouragement. it's an interesting hockey-blogging subculture y'all have developed here, and impressively diverse and intellegent on all sorts of different levels. now that i'm starting to get a sense of the topography, i'm feeling more excited and less worried about the whole thing. here's hoping that enthusiasm ultimately counts for more than information...