Saturday, November 25, 2006

11-24-06: Canadiens 2, Sabres 1

This is going to be one of my more gratuitously partisan post-game ramblings. The Sabres were good, of course they were good, they’re always good, but NOT GOOD ENOUGH! HA! Okay, so we’re a little late to the beating-the-Sabres party, but come on- they’re the best team in the League, it still counts for something. Truly though, I’m thrilled just to see how intensely the Habs played this one, irregardless of who the opponents were. Could it be that they’ve finally conquered their inner existentialists and found a purpose in life? 3 consecutive wins, a full hour of energy, and only a moderate number of penalties? A week ago the Canadiens were a moody, uneven, and occasionally masochistic team who had trouble with all those things. Tonight, they were beautiful and exciting and just plain fun to watch. I’m a happy, happy girl.

  1. First of all, way to shut down the Sabre’s offense. Not only did the Habs keep up with them all night, they managed the more significant project of slowing Buffalo down. Their entire defense was nearly pitch-perfect, and the Markov-Komisarek pairing is rapidly becoming one of my favorite things in life.
  2. Also, the Canadiens finally managed to not be out-shot, which is a huge relief. Huet is becoming more impressive by the night, but it was nice to see the team not relying on that too heavily and putting a ton of effort into keeping the Sabres from getting decent shots.
  3. And, of course, there’s nothing like a dramatic finish. I just love the whole pretty-goal-at-the-last-possible-moment thing, especially when dude manages to make it look like the easiest thing in the world. We all know it isn’t, but hey, bonus points for style.
  4. Were there things worth criticizing on the Habs end? Yeah, there always are, but the great thing about being a fan is that I don’t have to do it. As far as I’m concerned, it’s all good. Gold stars and ice cream for the entire team, everyone in Montreal, and all our devotees abroad! Hell, the Sabres and everyone in Buffalo can have ice cream too, as a consolation prize.

I’m inclined to make all sorts of grandiose predictions now, especially when I remember that Higgins has yet to return, but this is also the part where I start becoming terrified that some mysterious and hitherto unknown power of mine might somehow jinx the winning streak (just the thought makes me all shivery), so I’m just going to enjoy a vicarious moment of unexpected but well-earned victory. I love this game.

[On a totally peripheral note, have the Sabres changed their colors/logo like 8 times in living memory? I know they did recently, but looking at the crowd, it seemed like no two Sabres shirts were alike- I know I counted at least 4 different insignias, and I think there were more that I couldn’t see clearly. Isn’t this sort of weird for fans?]

No comments: